Sunday, January 25, 2009

~Looking ahead.........


You know those weeks you have when the best part of it was when it was over? I'm happy it's it's Sunday night and that tomorrow is the beginning of a new week.
It's been rough without our Barney dog and then a dear family friend passed away. On top of that it's been dam cold again..... -20 this morning. You all know I love winter but I'm joining the whiny bunch - I'm ready for spring :)

I have a long list of things I want to get done before kidding and lambing starts. Our pygora babies should arrive around the first week of March. I'm beginning to check and replenish lambing supplies and I always have sheepy help in the barn. These are my two best girls, Chammy and Pennyroyal. No matter how lousy I feel, they love me and are always happy to see me for a snuggle and a chin scratch. They will not be lambing this year. I decided after five years, they have earned a year off. Both of them have either given us triplets or quads since they started having lambs. I just love these gals and I'd like them to be around a good long time. They were trying to get those noses in my coat pocket, looking for animal crackers, their treat of choice :)

I am working towards overhauling my pantry, re-replenishing what we have used and storing more bulk food. We have a very large upstairs storage space in our home. We are going to install shelving in that area for my canners, stock pots, extra jars, etc., so these items will not take up valuable food storage space in the pantry. I've been researching food storage containers on-line. I would love to know what you all use for bulk food storage. This is going to be a project but well worth the effort. I'd love to have this completed before we start planting.

We had to make a run to town and while we were there, we stopped at the bookstore. A favorite stop for all of us and not one we make often. I found this new magazine and thought you all might be interested. It's called Mary Janes Farm. This issue is devoted to Bee's. Everything bee's as well as no-knead Artisan Breads, Bee mind homemade valentines, etc. Lots of fun and interesting things.

Some of the articles are a little fussy and won't apply to everyone and it's totally organic. Good reading. Check it out :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

-20? gosh girl, that's gotta be tough when you have to care for critters and deal with losses.

I bought a couple of Spring table matts the other day just to help me with the winter blahs.

Can't remember which, but somebody else was talking about how they liked the MaryJane magazine. I've never had an issue.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

It must be cold, if Deb is wanting spring. :)

It's hard with the Barney thing, everywhere you look, I'm sure you are expecting him. Sorry...

MaryJane was too fussy for me, but there is always some interesting projects and ideas in each issue that I have seen.

threecollie said...

So sorry for both your losses.....

Unknown said...

I am a die-heart Mary Jane fan:) I have had a subscription to the mag for the last year. You really should get her book....I have it pictured on my blog on the right side. A few things don't connect w/me but overall I love it...inspirational when I need it. I am hoping to have enough money to put an addition on my house that will include a mud room & a much needed pantry!! Did you give those adorable sheep their cookies?:)

DayPhoto said...

I'm glad you joined me in my litney for Spring! My husband is like you and enjoys winter. He doesn't like the heat of summer, I just miss the green growing things of spring and summer and the harvest of fall.

My heart goes out to you on your loses, those times are never good, never! Ever!

I too have friends of the furry kind, they are just the best! Give your girls a scratch on the chin for me also.

(P.S.) My chickens want spring also!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Nancy K. said...

Your Chammy and Pennyroyal are SO adorable! I know what you mean about how nice it is when they always great you with love.

I also know the pain you feel for having lost Barney. I still miss my 'Big Black Dog' (Rocky) and it's been 7 years and two dogs since I lost him. Photos of him still bring such an overwhelming longing to my heart...

But, Spring WILL come (again) and I can't wait to see your pygora babies!!!