Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blue sky, sunshine & sheep


The major storm that has wreaked havoc on so much of the country is headed our way. Another 18" of the beautiful white stuff :) I'm grateful they are predicting all snow and not ice. I can deal with snow but ice causes such devastation and there seems so little we can do to prevent it. One good thing about snow is that it has to warm up around here before that can happen. It was a gorgeous day. 20 degrees and clear blue sky with lots of sunshine. The animals were all outside today. The sheep all felt especially energetic. They were playing headbutting games, running around the feeders and jumping in the air for no apparent reason :) I love to watch them play together when they are so happy. Sunshine and warm weather will do that to you.

Danny Dog kept running back and forth around the sheep pens trying to get in on the action. None of the sheep wanted to play with him. He found a way to amuse himself by hunting for frozen poopsicles. He had quite a pile stored up before we came in this afternoon :) He finally tired himself out, stretched out on the porch in the sun and had a nap.


Bert and Ernie spend most of their time inside. If they veer off the paths into the deep snow, they sink right up to their armpits! Both were born last spring, each one from a group of quads. They were victims of "barn bullies" and didn't grow as I would have liked them to so they have a "space" of their own and are doing great. They will go out with the others in the springtime ;) They love hugs and chin scratches, and oh yes - animal crackers :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So, this Pan'Handle Hook is suppose to give my area in OH, 8-11 inches. If its gonna snow that much, our school better have a snowday....PJ's will be worn inside out tonight. I agree about the ice, 3 years ago it split a huge willow in half on my property. I am sending Bert & Ernie a hug cuz they are too cute....so what are the "popsicles"? LOL

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

It has been stated in numerous articles, websites and television shows that Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street were named after two characters from the film It's a Wonderful Life.

Were you thinking Sesame Street when you named 'em? I thought of It's a Wonderful Life.

Christy said...

I hope the storm doesn't hit you too bad! Ernie and Bert are cute. Do you really give them animal crackers? Just the type from the grocery store?

Deb said...

kristi,
I can't believe your district didn't call off school!! That's nuts.....
Bert & Ernie love hugs :) "poopsicles" are frozen globs of sheep poop. They are Danny Dogs favorite treat :)

Joanna,
My oldest son, Tom, named them. I asked him how he came up with the name and he said from Sesame Street.

Christy,
Thanks :) yes - I really give my sheep and goats animal crackers. Just plain ones from the grocery store. Often I find them at the dollar stores. They love them :)