Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lambs, cattle & mischief

It's been a strange couple of days. It's been raining on and off. Nice, gentle, soaking rain. It's been so long since we've had rainy days, everything around here is a little out of sorts. It's been wonderful for the flowers and the vegetable gardens.

My Rock Garden

Heliatrope (one of my favorites)

My children gave me this granite stone for Mother's day

The ewes and lambs are all out on pasture. I was checking fence this morning and found a break. Normally the sheep respect the electric fence but the lambs once they reach a certain age, test everything. Today must be test day. After they broke through three times, I put them back in the barn paddock. We bring the cattle in the barn at chore time when I milk and they get their grain. They eat on a round bale in a feeder in the pasture. I was checking that and found a break in their fence. We repaired that and repaired the sheep fence yet again and Tom plugged the fence in before we turned the cows back out. I forgot I attached the sheep fence to the cattle fence and yep, I touched it. Zapped me in good shape. Must have left my brain in the house! I've been feeling tired and I obviously wasn't paying attention.


Triplets!!!


I had to go to Scarborough yesterday to shop for DH. His birthday is this coming weekend. I really don't like taking the time to go to the city and especially to go shopping but he's worth it so we headed out about 9:30am. Returned home early afternoon to find these little cuties in the ewe barn with Mom, Chammy. All three were dried off and nursing. Two ram lambs and one ewe (white). My Mom named the ewe Ruby. The ram lambs are still nameless. This is one of my favorite ewes. She's friendly and a great Mom. Her sister is due any day now. She's the last one to lamb for this year.

Ruby

The boys

There was another lamb born. A real surprise......a tiny little white lamb. I'll try and post photos tomorrow.



6 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Sounds like one of those days, lovely pics of the flowers and the babies!

I really dislike getting shocked by the electric fence - at times like that I know why the animals stay in!

threecollie said...

Beautiful babies!!! And I simply love your garden and garden stone.
Sorry about the fence hassles! How I hate chasing livestock. We have the cows on temporary pasture now and keep them in nights, which isn't normal for us, because of that.

Joanne said...

Thank you for leading me to your beautiful blog! I've been wanting to "visit you" --but couldn't until I knew how to find you! What a nice comment on my blog..you are right, Meg was very cute as a little girl. I will always have a soft spot for her because of that 'mometer incident! Stay cool in those 32C days ahead...we've already bypassed that temperature and then some. :)

Deb said...

nita,
I'm usually pretty lucky about avoiding the fence - at least I know for sure the sheep will stay away from it :)

threecollie,
Thanks - I really enjoy my gardens. Just wish I had more time to spend in them. They are close to the front porch of the house where I can see them. Would love to put a small pond in there with a fountain like yours someday :)

Joanne,
I'm sorry I didn't leave you the blog address with my comments. I didn't realize that clicking on my name wouldn't lead you to my blog. Sometimes it does, and obviously, sometimes it doesn't.
Anyway, glad you found it and hope you can visit often :)

Christy said...

The rock garden is beautiful! Congrats on the lambs. I do love lambs.

Paintsmh said...

Aww the lambs are so adorable!!!