Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chocolate cherry tomatoes anyone?


Each year we plant a few unusual things in the garden just for fun......this year we came across these oddly named cherry tomatoes. I just couldn't imagine a chocolate cherry tomato? A little research revealed that these are port wine to chestnut colored Delicious cherry tomatoes that produce 1" fruit non-stop all summer long. Who knew? I have two of them planted in a milk can that sits on my front step with a couple of purple basil plants. Smells great each time I pass :)
Chocolate cherry tomato with purple basil


The baby chicks have arrived! The post office called at 7:30 this morning. Our chick order from Cackle Hatchery was "peeping" and could someone plllllllllllllllllease come and pick them up :) Can you imagine being inconvenienced by a few baby chickens? I mean seriously, just how annoying can 36 baby chickens actually be?
I think they are adorable!!


Day old chicks

This gorgeous Eastern Bluebird paid us a visit yesterday morning. He landed on a post in the front of my house as I was standing in the doorway having my morning cup of coffee. I was very happy to see him. I think they are arriving later this year than years past. We normally have a pair that nest and hatch their young here. I spotted him twice during the day in the big oak near the house. I hope his mate is nearby and that they are looking for the perfect place to build a nest.

We are off to the hayfields tomorrow if, and that's a big IF, we do not get thunderstorms. We had very strong thunderstorms yesterday and golf ball size hail in the next town over. Thankfully it missed us as is did quite a bit of damage. This hay was baled last week when it was dry. We just haven't had a dry day to move it home since it was baled.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Beautiful blue bird!! Sorry to hear that you had hail though