Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter on the farm..........

This is the view from my kitchen window. I personally think it's gorgeous. Winter in New England. I wait all year for this! Our first big storm roared in about 7 this morning and it's been blowing and snowing ever since. We have about 8 inches and it's supposed to change to freezing rain later this afternoon.


All the animals that want to be are tucked in the barn, all cozy and dry. Jan, our pregnant cow, is relaxing in her stall, chewing her cud and showing small signs of labor. Hopefully tonight we will have a new baby calf :)

Of course there are always that few who defy logic and stand out in the storm. Not sure why but these gals either really, really love snow or are just being the defiant bunch.


The junco have arrived and seem to be the only birds at the feeders today. They hide under the evergreens and then make a run for the feeder on my Mom's porch when they think no one is watching.
Otis has never seen snow before. We had an inch or so the other day and he had a grand time learning what to do with that powdery white stuff! Rolling in it seems to be the best. Today he is really overwhelmed. It's as deep as his legs are long.

It's a good life!

13 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

The sheep picture is gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. It is pretty in Maine today.... Love the pic of Otis, so cute! Photos like that make me long for a dog again....

Becca's Dirt said...

What a cutie puppy. I guess the sheep have enough wool to keep them warm. Beautiful scene.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Those are beautiful pictures. We have never had a snow like that here. It was in the high 70's today. We did have major rainfall last night and this morning though.

I think tonight will be the night for Jan's new baby. Good luck to her!

Otis is a cutie pie.
Have a great and warm day.
Pam

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures Deb!! I envy your wonderful place in New England:) So, the word "Serenity" came to mind while I was reading your blog and thinking about the cow awaiting birth. Perhaps if she is a girl.....ok, I probably think too much:) Thank you for sharing the pictures!

lisa said...

Such beautiful scenes of the snow! I wish I had a kitchen window to look out of!

Donna said...

I love the photo of Otis- cheered me up. Thanks!

Moms Musings said...

Beautiful pictures. Otis is so cute in the snow. Of course, the sheep would like the snow, they have their very own wool coats.

DayPhoto said...

AHHH! Your view looks just like ours! We share snow. I love to look upon snow, even be in snow, but I don't like freezing temps.

Your puppy is adorable!

Post photos of youro new calf!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

DayPhoto said...

I Thanked you and took a photo of my gloves on my blog today.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Diane@Peaceful Acres said...

That's a beautiful view from your window! Better hanker down...mores acomin.

Christy said...

It is so beautiful! I hate the cold, but don't mind snow every once in awhile.

eileeninmd said...

The sheep look so cold, poor things. The Juncos do not seem to mind the snow at all. Your Otis is just adorable. I think he likes the snow too.
Great photos, I enjoyed them all.