Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A frosty start to the day.......


We had a few inches of snow overnight and this morning the wind started to blow. The snow was heavy and the trees were completely coated. It was a beautiful sight as the sun started to rise. As the day progressed the wind increased and by afternoon the temperature had dropped 20 degrees. It's supposed to drop to zero tonight with a -30 windchill.

The weather folks are predicting a Nor'easter for us starting late Thursday. So far the predictions are that we will be measuring the snow in feet, not inches. The snow is supposed to last into Sunday with blizzard conditions predicted anytime during the storm. Of course, much could change between now and then but being prepared is a good thing.
We headed for chores this morning, making a list as we went of all the things we needed to check and accomplish prior to the storm. We spent the day making sure all the barns are nicely bedded, clearing anything in the snow blower's path, cleaned the chicken house, etc.

We will make trip to town tomorrow to stock up on low supplies and fuel. Border's Bookstore is a definite stop as we all received gift cards for Christmas. May need a good book for the weekend :)

12 comments:

craig said...

Sounds like you're in for it, but well prepared. I may be crazy but I have to admit I like it when big snows are on the way and there's a sense of urgency to get things in order.

Donna said...

Batten down the hatches!!! It was a rather blustery day here in NH, also! I was just listening to the weekend forecast...yuck! Guess I'll be stocking the basement with more wood....just in case and filling every bucket we have....just in case....adding more straw for the goats.....just in case. I have to admit, I agree with Craig...once I'm ready, it is a little bit of an adventure. Thank goodness for a warm woodstove to sit by and a gas stove rather than electric.....just in case ;-)
Stay warm!

threecollie said...

Oh, dear, hope it isn't too awful. We sure are getting an early and enthusiastic winter this year!

Deb said...

I've always been a big fan of winter and agree that it is exciting when a "big" storm is coming. Especially if it means hubby gets an extra day home :)
Knowing how unpredictable winter can be we try to stay ready at all times. Wood heat, a generator and our family all home and we can pretty much get through anything. It's my neighbors that I worry about.

Donna - stay warm and safe and enjoy the ride :)

threecollie,
We haven't had a ton of snow yet -seems mother nature is going to make up for that :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, you're going to get all the fun - wish I was there. Have fun - Bill

Diane@Peaceful Acres said...

Oh don't say that bad word.....Noreaster! Yikes I better turn on the weather cause I just seem to ignore it and it hits me by surprise. I guess when you don't depend so much on the outside world you do that....
so how did the milker hold up??? any frozen lines!!! I'll be the luckiest white woman alive if I EVER get a calf and some milk!!!! I think it's safer to say now that I'm more likely to get that big F350 and stocktrailer before I get a calf!!! Another failed AI. I'm so discouraged.

Candy Duell said...

It appears that the "big one of 09" is changing its mind. At least at my end. We will see what happens.

lisa said...

I thought at first we would get it, but they are only calling for an inch here. I always like to be prepared! Stay warm!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Happy New Year to our blog friends in Maine!
Looking forward to reading about your adventures in 2010!

Stay warm!

Callie Brady said...

Happy New Year! Sounds cold, brrrrr, and sounds like you will be all ready to enjoy being snowed in for a bit. Hope you enjoy reading the books.

Anita said...

We are all set here, also. Have plenty of food (I'm actually baking bread today, my Mom's recipe). We have a gas heater in the kitchen and gas cook stove so we are all set there. I am so excited to hear that you will be raising Heritage turkeys this year. We had 1 for Thanksgiving and it was delicious! Put me on your list, please. The Toms you showed are so handsome :-).
Stay warm and happy knitting.

DayPhoto said...

Well, if I had just gone over and READ the new site I would know the answer to my question.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com