Saturday, November 14, 2009

Frosty mornings...........


Frosty starts to beautiful autumn days this past week. The little farm shop was "cool" inside.
25 f on the outside on Friday. 42F this morning with the remnants of Ida moving our way, a couple of inches of rain expected. We have had a dry week so the rain is needed. Surprisingly the soil is dry.

The farm shop is open today. Yesterday we purchased a heater. When the sun doesn't shine, it's chilly in there. Hopefully our new heater will keep it nice and toasty. Our clientele is steadily growing and being warm is important. I love working in there on Saturdays. I am in the process of putting a new warp on my big rug loom in between customers. That's exciting for me. It's been two years since I've been able to weave on the big loom and I'm really looking forward to it.

We are building a new cow tie up in the barn to accommodate our cows on cold winter nights. We bought our lumber yesterday so building commences today. We have stanchions from an old barn that we will use. Everyone will be together and toasty in the big barn this winter.
I've been sending out mail orders this week. A lovely lady from out of state e-mailed looked for a fleece. I had just finished shearing this little fat fellow and after emailing photos, she purchased his. This is Cactus, a shetland/finn cross wether. He was one of my first quads born here and weighed just 2 lbs. He is also the son of the the best ram I have ever had. Needless to say, he's put on some weight since then :) He's a pet - we carried him around and cuddled him for months. He produces lovely fiber and has a forever home here.
That's it from the farm today. Better get busy! Have a great weekend everyone :)


13 comments:

lisa said...

We have had a few of those nice frosty mornings! Today it is raining but it was just starting to dry out and we really didn't need more rain at this point! You will have to e-mail or post a picture once you get your loom up and going. That is exciting! I am having a hard time getting my towels done and I just don't seem to have the energy when I get home from work. So, today the hubby doesn't come home until late today and I will work on them after I get back from my riding lesson. You have a good day and I am glad your shop is doing so well!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a website/page for your store/shop? Tell me more. - Bill

threecollie said...

Delighted that your store is running well. Sounds pleasant with the heater and the work on your loom.

Gayle said...

I am s glad that your store worked out. Your family put so much work into getting it going. And the bonus: you're having fun at it! Have a super weekend.

Callie Brady said...

The frost looks like it snowed. So pretty. Cactus looks like a sweetie. Glad that the shop is doing so well.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Ida's remnants were so strong, we had flooding here. Yes, you needed a heater in the shop. Seems like the older I'm gettin', the colder I'm gettin'. Good update. I want to see a photo of the loom.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love that first photo!! It just speaks volumes of about life on a farm...I think you should add it as a card for your farm store:) Don't you just love the wool from wethers?! Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The top photo looks like a painting. It's beautiful!

Adkins Family farm said...

I love the first photo. Those plows are hard to find. I haven't seen one in twenty years. Is that a furrower or a cultivator. I can't really tell. I also really like your plump little sheep.

Deb said...

lisa,
I will definately post a photo of the loom as soon as I get it finished :)

Bill,
I'm planning to set up a new blog page for the shop. Just haven't gotten that far. Will try to work on that soon :)

3c,
Unfortunately the new heater didn't work too well and I need to return it. Am going to try an electric. I hate to but it's only for limited time so shouldn't run the bill up too much.

gayle,
Hope you all had a great weekend and stayed warm!

callie,
It really did look like it had snowed the frost was so heavy. I always think it's beautiful :)

joanna,
We had about 3 inches of rain. Nothing like you folks experienced. It was more than enough.
I'll be happy to post a photo of the loom when I get it warped.

kristi,
I'm glad you liked the photo....I'll take your advise and make it into a greeting card :)
Yes, I do love the fleece of the wethers. The are the best natured as well :)

robin,
Thank you :) love your new blog...

Adkinsfamilyfarm,
That is a cultivator in the photo. It was a gift from a friend of mine. I have used it in the garden and it works well.

DayPhoto said...

I love the lovely yarn we got from you! The color is to dye (die) for and Misty is excited to find just the right pattern.

Thank you for selling us this neat Tyler Farm product!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my! You did have some frost. Makes my fingers hurt when it gets cold. I'm putting off going out to my mailbox today because of the rain and cold. Brrrr.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal