Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hope.....

Despite the winter doldrums and the cabin fever we occasionally suffer from here in the Northeast this time of year, there is always something on the farm to lift our spirits and renew our faith that spring will come........

This little gal, Hope, arrived the morning 12/31/07. She was dry and had her first meal before I got to the barn at 7am. Her dam is an Angus/Jersey cross. Her sire is a Genex AI Red Angus bull. I love this little calf. :0) I couldn't be more pleased with the way she is growing.

I milk her Mom everyday and get about 30 qts. She's a nice tempered old gal and throws beautiful calves. I have her heifer from last year, a 3/4 jersey. The cow passes her disposition on to her calves. Both heifers are very friendly and we are planning to keep them both to enlarge our herd. I figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I have had this cow and a nice Hereford heifer we raised bred to the same bull. I'm hoping for two heifer calves around 12/7/08!

No comments: