Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lessons learned on the farm............

This is Molly - the new cow we brought home last Monday. It seems we have finally filled her up and she's beginning to gain weight. Annie, her little heifer calf is also growing and seems to have adjusted to her new surroundings. I had planned on moving Molly out with company today after the vet came to check her out. I'm very sad to say that Molly isn't healthy and will be leaving the farm. She has a condition called Lump jaw which is a bone infection of the jaw. By the time cattle have outward signs, the jaw deterioration isn't likely reversible and death is inevitable either by losing condition because a cow cannot eat or the jaw bone can deteriorate to the point where it will actually break. I had never heard of this before - I'm sure I"ll never forget it now. It's definitely a lesson learned and a sad one. She's really a kind, gentle cow and I was getting attached to her already. We will keep her calf and hopefully she will grow into a beautiful cow like her Mom and live a healthy, productive life on our farm.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, how sad. There are so many things that can be wrong with animals; we can't think of them all unless we've experienced them all!

threecollie said...

Sorry for such bad news. She is such a nice looking cow. What a shame.

Linda said...

Not to be a negitave Nelly but I wonder if the farmer who sold her to you knew about the condition. Very sad. I hope it is not something the heifer can 'catch' or be pron to due to relation to the cow. Good luck with the calf.

DayPhoto said...

Well, now you know what the price was so good. At least you have the calf. Darn so sorry for this.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Deb said...

Michelle,
So true. I'm always learning something. I don't always like the outcome, but I'm learning none the less.

threecollie,
Thank you :) I was hoping for a long relationship together. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

Linda,
I've had the same thoughts myself but I honestly do not know. Regardless, I bought her and missed the signs so I'm responsible.
Our vet said the heifer will be just fine and that we could eat the cow. It's not something that travels in the blood but stays in the jaw bone.

DayPhoto,
You could be right Linda, I'll never know. I'll just take my licks, enjoy the calf and chalk it all up to another education.

Michelle said...

Deb, I would think twice before eating her. The vet is giving you the "standard line," but think about it physiologically. There is only one blood supply in the body; the blood circulating through the infected part is the same blood circulating through the muscle tissue that you would eat....

Callie Brady said...

My first thought was how sad and then how difficult for you. I'm glad you can keep the calf.

Deb said...

Michelle,
Good advise = that's why the cow is leaving the farm on sunday. Even if I could convince myself it WAS safe, I couldn't get my head around it...it all just makes me sad. It's a terrible shame that no one paid attention and caught this early enough when it could have been corrected.
Thanks -

Callie,
The calf is sweet - something good out of a bad situation :)