Thursday, October 16, 2008

The gift of a rainy day ~

Today it rains.............it's raw and dreary. The cows and sheep are all in their barns, staying dry and chewing their cuds. The kitchen stove is warm and the house smells great. There is not much that we can do outside today without getting soaked. The wind has been blowing the last couple of days and blown most of our beautiful leaves off the maples in the front yard. Now it will look dreary until the beautiful white snow arrives and makes everything look so pure again.

Like most everyone else, I've a hundred projects I could work on inside so but none of them such as cleaning the bathroom or mopping the kitchen floor really appeals to me :) It feels like a good day to bake. I do not get that chance very often. An associate of Steve's has been picking fresh cranberries and was so kind to send me home three bags. (Thank you Mary!!)

Looking through some of my favorite blogs, I found a great Cranberry scone recipe on the Farm Girl Fare blog. Be sure to give it a try if you like scones. They take minimal time to mix together and are absolutely Delicious. The only thing I did differently was I added an orange juice/powdered sugar glaze on the top of them as they came out of the oven.


They may not look like they came out of gourmet magazine but I have to say they are wonderful and they will not last long in my house :) Definitely a recipe that I will use again and again.

Hope your all having a good day!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow, scones and woodstoves...really a cozy post or two to read on a rainy day. It's raining here in KY too. I've made applesauce cake. :) Thanks for all your wonderful supportive comments on my blog as we worry through this time with my new nephew.

grammy said...

I really want a bite of that scone. I visit farm girl fare so I will have to look it up. Love your stove to. My grandma had a cream colored one. Loved the way she kept her food warm above, then got it all to the table warm.

Deb said...

joanne,
thanks for reading :) I love applesauce cake too. Rainy days are great for spending them in the kitchen.
Your welcome.....

grammy,
I'd love to share :) I do use the warming shelf on my stove to rise bread. My grandmother had one as well, it was a light green enamel. Some things just never go out of style!
Thanks for visiting :)

Unknown said...

I have never made a scone before...I think its something I should try as it sounds very tasty. We actually had rain the other night, not alot which is good. The muddy season tests my patience! I am waiting for a rainy day to have the excuse to clean inside however:)

threecollie said...

Love your new header and I LOVE scones! Becky got a recipe from Windyridge and changed it just a little....she makes them for me all the time. Cranberry is a big favorite.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Have to get caught up with your posts. We call the small fire a smudge too, just big enough to take off the chill.

The cranberries are beautiful, and the scones look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It is really interesting and I just wanted to say keep them good posts a coming.

Deb said...

kristi,
Do give the scones a try - I guarantee you'll be glad you did :)

threecollie,
Thank you :) Would you ask Becky if she would mine sharing her recipe? I love cranberry anything!

nita,
Thanks! I knew "smudge" would be a word in your vocabulary :) We have needed more than that the last couple of days. 22 this morning brrrrrrrrr :)

darrell,
So glad you found us and thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoy the blog :)

Have a great day everyone!