Sunday, January 9, 2011

End of the week.........

A beautiful Sunday morning here in the North East.  Sunshine greeted us early and even the January sun gives a little warmth, especially on the south side of the barn.  I left the south end doors open this morning giving Daisy and the bunnies a little sunshine.

Sunday morning sunrise over the farm
Otis & Danny
We only have a few inches of snow.   Last weeks 50 degree days didn't help with that and the promised snow for this weekend never happened.  I'm not terrible disappointed but it would be nice to have a little more.  The dogs love the snow and plowing through the powder with their noses is one of their favorite pastime.  Otis, our little red dog, has grown into quite a fellow.  He and Danny are best buds and are ALWAYS rough housing :)  

"Harriett"
Our calf is growing quickly. They seem to gain so much better when you let them stay with the cow.  She eats whenever she wants and that's very often!     She's got quite a personality and is getting quite social. I have a small salt lick in the feed bucket for her Mother.  I had to put it up high so the sheep wouldn't get into it.  Harriett is a nosey little thing and would love to knock  it off if she could.  She had that look like "what, I wasn't doing anything".


Our guineas are not fond of getting their feet cold.  They run to the barn in the morning, eat the corn I throw out for them and then head right back for their roost poles in the guinea house.  The sun normally keeps the snow melted in front of their door which gives them a dry place to get a drink and pick and scratch around.  The love to come in the barn and scratch but they make a mess.  They spend a lot of time in their house or on the roof because the black shingles are warm on their feet.

That's about it for this week.  Today will be spent doing everything I didn't get done yesterday :)  The barn work has been done for the week - need to work in the house.  I'm glad that last week is behind me - it was full of ups and down and I really hate riding that roller coaster.  Hopefully, this week will be quieter with less bumps in the road.    One can always hope :)  
   
This little snowman greets you as you enter our front door.  I am reluctant to remove him - it makes me smile every time I walk up the steps.  Even though the holidays are over, I think he will keep his place for awhile.  If your smiling at the end of your day, all will be well!  

Have a wonderful week - I will be back next weekend if nothing unexpected gets in the way.  

Deb
Tylerfarm

5 comments:

Gayle said...

You words sound upbeat. I hope that you are doing well. The animals look great.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

For me, the holidays extend through the winter months. I wouldn't switch the wreath until Spring.

Verde Farm said...

I think the snowman is perfectly appropriate for winter anyway-I agree, let him stay there to brighten your day. Glad little red dog is doing so well and your guineas are awesome. We only have two and I want to get a few more myself.

DayPhoto said...

I think snowmen for for January! I always put up snowmen for January. February has it's own symbol so should January.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Hi, could you please contact me about where you purchased the milking machine? I have emailed and my emails to you are bouncing.

thanks!